Monday, May 16, 2011

A Random Gift From Random Act

Birdman spent some time with Random Act on Sunday.  She painted two new flowers, one with a special dedication. Photographs and commentary courtesy of Birdman.







It was a beautiful sunny day when I got a text from Random Act saying she was painting a new flower on La Brea and wanted to know if I’d like to get some shots of her painting. Being that it was so amazingly beautiful out I didn't mind making an exception for some day shots. I met up with her as she was finishing a piece on La Brea close to another flower she just painted the day prior. She said she didn't like to do that often, but the spot was too perfect to let go. And I must say, the wood she painted on added a nice depth to her lotus.


















As she was painting a nice young dude came to talk to her saying “Wow are you Random Act?  I mainly do graffiti but I really like your work around here, it adds a nice touch to the street art that’s around. Keep it up I really enjoy it!” She was quite flattered as a few minutes later a hippie passing by was suggesting we do a lotus…which she had just done.



















After she finished we were talking about areas to put another one that she wanted to do another day. She had mentioned that her main goal is to beautify a building with her art and she loved painting her flowers in grungy areas to give it a facelift with her art. I recommended that it would be funny to see her flowers in a few cluttered street art areas. Hyped on the idea we went to an old parking lot known to look cluttered with street art at the moment. It has its own weird fucked up character goin for it. Like your weird cousin who says weird shit. She found a nice corner that was being occupied by the Lady Gaga posters. As she was thinking of what to draw she asked what my favorite flower was…I quickly said pot, hehe. Then she replied saying that it’s a bit controversial so instead I called my girlfriend and asked what flower she would like to see, she asked for a white calla lily. Being that she got me into this street art world it was a great gift I could share with her that Random Act did for me. What was really random is how we were talking about our dogs, since she had hers in the car with her, and she made a flower for my lil dog too. Random Act is just too awesome and I can’t thank her enough, I am MUCH appreciative for her gift.






























Talking more with her I learned that she had been doing street art for a year and half. Recently being back in Los Angeles she had traveled around the country painting her flowers where ever she went. As she put it, "who is going to get pissed at you when you are painting a flower?" Take a look at her blog as well to see her journey across the United States.

-BM

To see more from Andrea LaHue, check out her website www.alahue.com.

3 comments: